Jack Heffernan, MA student, Durham University Participating in the PEOPLE Project 2019, we are a group of masters students at Durham University who have teamed up with Durham County Council (DCC) to help Durham City prepare for the country’s upcoming shift towards electric vehicles (EVs). Our research aims to answer the question: ‘How can Durha...
- August 16, 2018
- CASE-STUDIES, NEWSLETTERS
- anthropology, Durham Energy Institute, Durham University, energy, ethnography, independent living, interdisciplinary, IoT, Kemuri, PEOPLE project, smart power sockets, sustainability, telecare, UK PEOPLE case study
We are presenting four case studies, implemented in the 1st PEOPLE Learning Cycle. In each of the four partner countries, Slovenia, UK, the Netherlands, and Czech Republic, students of social sciences and humanities worked with academic and industry mentors on a real-life, industry-identified research project in the field of energy efficiency and s...
- August 8, 2018
- NEWSLETTERS, PEOPLE Community
- anthropologist, Department of Anthropology, Durham Energy Institute, Durham University, energy, Erasmus+, newsletter, PEOPLE project, people-centred design, Sandra Bell, social sciences
Sandra Bell, Professor at the Department of Anthropology of Durham University and member of the Durham Energy Institute Advisory Board, is working on energy related issues and biodiversity conservation. She has previously published on religion and conducted research on the development of Buddhism in Britain for her PhD. Sandra is interested in inte...
- July 2, 2018
- CASE-STUDIES, Events
- Durham University, innovation, Kemuri, Maria Salaru, PEOPLE project, people-centred development, smart power socket, Thames Valley IoT MeetUp, UK case study
On the 20th of June, an audience of eighty Internet of Things (IOT) engineers, electronics designers and consultants were introduced to the PEOPLE Project at the Thames Valley IoT Meetup in Reading, UK. Maria Salaru, Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Anthropology from Durham University, illustrated how anthropologists can work ...